Thursday, March 8, 2012

Baby Fig Newton

10 weeks

I had my second check up Friday (the 2nd), which I rescheduled from what was previously March 16th because I was going to visit my sister in Missouri for a week and wanted to make sure everything was A-Ok before I left. This stage is rough because the baby is still so small that I can't feel it. I love my doctor's appointments because, although slightly invasive, they put my wandering mind at ease after my doctor says "everything looks wonderful!"

Isaiah and I got to hear the heartbeat at this visit which was a VERY pleasant surprise. I'm just lying there like a pencil and all of a sudden my doctor pulls out a tiny microphone and starts feeling around on my stomach. At first, my doctor said she couldn't hear anything (which completely freaked Isaiah and I out) but then, after instructions to bend my knees for a better position, there it was! I wanted to sit there and listen to it all afternoon. All day after that Isaiah and I looked at each other and went "whomp whomp whomp" mimicking the sound of the baby's heartbeat.


For celebration of a healthy heartbeat, Isaiah and I went to the Pancake Pantry in Nashville. This place is one of the historic "must see" spots in Nashville and, rain or shine, it always has a line out the door (which goes surprisingly fast). For this reason, Isaiah never wanted to go because he thought it wouldn't be worth it. After convincing him to go, we split blueberry pancakes and Isaiah said they were the best pancakes he's ever had...HA! Told ya so ;) Now I think we're going to have to go once a month to fulfill his goal of trying all the pancakes...maybe I created a monster...


I'm extremely grateful to my sister for lending me an extensive amount of baby knowledge during this week I've spent with her. It's also been super helpful to get lots of practice on my 5 month old nephew. Thank you Lindsay for all of your help!



So the update for this week:
At 11 weeks, our baby is now the size of a fig. He or she is just over 1 1/2 inches long and is now almost fully formed. The hands will soon open and close into fists, tiny tooth buds are beginning to appear under the gums, and some of the bones are beginning to harden.
He or she is already busy kicking and stretching, and it's tiny movements are so effortless they look like water ballet. These movements will become more frequent as the body grows and becomes more developed and functional. I won't feel my baby's acrobatics for another month or two — nor will I notice the hiccuping that may be happening now that the diaphragm is forming.

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. I love how descriptive you are! It's really fascinating what you wrote about the baby! How super adorable!

    I'm so happy Lindsay gave you that mountain of knowledge! She seems like a great mom, so I bet she knows what she's saying. I'm really, really excited for you both!

    ReplyDelete